Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Day 23 - Love > Fear, Hope> Fear, Optimism > Despair,




Years ago I ran youth programs in Toronto's East end. The Neighbourhood had a mixed community of Spanish, Black and Asian Canadians. Most of the youth I worked with were the first generation in their families to be born in Canada. The Projects I worked with were publicly funded, through grants. The Councillor for my neighbourhood was Jack Layton. Jack Layton came to every cookbook launch, basketball 3-on-3, cultural dinner party, and valentines dance that these youth organized. He shook hands and posed for pictures and talked to the kids. He cared about everyone in his community. Last year his community became the country when he became the Man who should have won. It was an honour to have met him, many times over.

At that same era in my life I had the travel bug bad...I spent my 23rd birthday in Mexico. I remember fearlessly getting my mom and I into a cab which dropped us off at a "botonical gardens" I had read about in the margins of a worn out Lonley Planet. To say this place was remote was an undrestatement. We tried our best to communicate that we would be two hours and placed our faith in this strange cabby, hoping he would return before nightfall and watched him drive off...After hours of wandering through the cacti were heard a honking - our cabby had returned and brought ice cold Orange Fantas for us to drink.

Humans are such amazing People.

This skirt reminds me of that trip. I really should wear it more judging from the amount of compliments I recieved today.

Well there is a week left...
thanks for sticking with me.
nella

No comments:

Post a Comment